Skip to main content

Diary Of A Pastor's Son (II) || Memories Are Resilient

Diary Of A Pastor's Son (II)
Memories Are Resilient

Memories are resilient

Memories stay, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Memories beat time to it's wear-and-tear game.

Ugly memories destroy us.

Bad memories instructs us.

Good memories make us.

So, we make them. Plenty of them, during childhood, adolescence and the rest of our stay on God's once green earth.

As an adolescent whose dreams hung around his neck like a pendant, I made memories.

Memories so skin deep, they live with me, form my philosophies of life, shape my goals and drive me to fulfillment.

Before poetry caught up with me, in the waters of jealousy, I was a songwriter. 

At age 11, I wrote and composed songs.

Family just relocated from Kano to Aba, Abia. Rented an apartment at 227 Tenant Road.

A three storey building coated in yellow and brown paints.

We lived on the first storey, left wing, overlooking the Aba River.

The balcony became my favourite spot. 

I would sit by the balcony stare in awe at Ogbor Hill. Trace the contours of her from the shores of Aba river, rise gracefully into the clouds.

Beautiful. Eyegasmic, almost.

Palm trees here, there, everywhere.

Houses scattered unevenly on her hilly expanse.

I would watch in admiration, little children dive into the river and swim away from sight, only to resurface a pole away.

Canoes, wooden canoes paddle from Ogbor Hill to Market road, ferry people, things and whatever.

Inspiration sets.

I would pick up my diary and pen down a line that forms a verse that forms a song.

From nowhere, the music takes shape. I would mime, hum, sing, clap.

It became a routine.

It became a habit.

A hobby.

A passion.

My passion.

I began thinking of ways to 'wax' my songs. Daddy's radio came to mind. 

I love to experiment.

So I sat before his radio, studied each button, their functions. Soon after, I discovered the 'Rec' button.

Whoa! Daddy's radio can record?

And that was the beginning of my beautiful atrocities.

Dad is a pastor. Deeper Life pastor.

He has a library of Pastor Kumuyi's cassettes.

Plenty of them. Antique. New.

I was careful to not tamper with the new ones. I would sneak into his room, open the carton that housed his old cassettes, grab one or two and wait until he's off to work.

Holidays were my choice days.

Siblings go to aunts (because movies). I stay back (because music).

When they are all out and I left alone at home, I would turn on the radio set, slot in dad's cassette, press the 'Rec' button and sing my heart away.

In simpler words, I overwrote Kumuyi's sermons with my songs.

I have a beautiful hand font. Artistic. Took after dad.

I would tear off the label on dad's cassette, rip pages from off my notebooks, artistically write the title of my song on it, cut it to the shape of the cassette with a razor blade and with the help of water gum, paste it on the cassette.

Dried, I would slot in the cassette, sit back and listen to myself.

You have no idea how fulfilling I did feel at that moment.

Bet I felt same way Genevieve Nnaji felt with the success of 'Lion Heart'.

Dad had no idea. Maybe he did but feigned ignorance.

Dad was supportive of my talent though.

Whenever he travels to Lagos for Deeper Life annual Leader's Congress, he would buy a musical instrument for me.

A recorder

A mini piano

A flute

A music book

These deeds of dad encouraged my beautiful atrocities.

Until 2007, dad's radio set, my mini piano and recorder were my studio equipments.

His cassettes were my storage devices.

Oluchi and Mabel were my back up singers.

I have three long notebooks, four thick back notebooks and a couple other 40 leaves notebooks of songs I wrote and composed over those years.

Memories.

As I write this, my first laptop bag is the final home of all the cassettes that I stole from dad's archive.

Safely stored.

In my room.

I hope, someday, to slot them, one after the other, in a radio set, sit back, listen to my adolescent dreams

And

Wonder

Why

I

Am

Yet

To

Be

A

Musician.

Memories are resilient.

Make memories. Beautiful memories.

#Pengician #SSA



Enjoyed reading? Please leave a comment and share with friends. Thank you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shy, a poem

bashful, timid, quiet.  shy If anyone you know has used these terms to describe you, you're probably a bit shy. Everyone feels that way once in a while. Shyness and social anxiety are common, no matter how old you are. There is one myth about social anxiety and social anxiety disorder that I would like to dispel. The myth says that social anxiety is just exaggerated shyness. This myth encourages the idea that anxious people are merely weak-willed pushovers. It is partially because of this myth, I think, that well-intentioned people offer the relevant but insensitive and patronizing advice like, “Don’t worry about it!” , “Just do it” and “Face your fears.”  Thinking on all these, I wrote this poem: shy when a shy person speaks, it's like music from guitar strings. when a shy person smiles, it’s like the sun coming out when a shy person steps out it's like the uncommon visit of gods when a shy person reclines it feels like moon eloped from night when a shy person is 'i

Dustbin And Drafts - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu

POEM 142: DUSTBIN AND DRAFTS He was the night sky, She was a star, Always together, Never one. He wrote what he felt for her of how her twinkles light up his dark. But they never get to her. One more note was added in his drafts. Fragrant pens and beautiful poems Pink papers and artistic handwriting. She wrote about the beauty in his black of how they make her twinkles shine. but they never got to him. Only the dustbin knows how much she loves him - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu #365DaysOfPoetry #Pengician #SSA Enjoyed reading? Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends.  Thank you!

For Leah Shabiru - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu

POEM 136: FOR LEAH SHABIRU I can't find the words right To describe Leah's plight. I hope this little piece of mine Awakens our voiceless unconcern. Does she feel giddy? Does she still cry? Does she look out the window and heave a sigh? How long shall this gravity Hold her down to these rascals? I know she kicks but in vain I know she whispers prayers to her God Or maybe she now doubts his existence. Does she wish her breathe be gone? But she's just a teenager Who dreamt of leaving her deadbeat town One day she went to chase dreams The next she was never found Sunrise and sunset have come and gone and Leah is still in the devil's lair. You and I, we eat, we sleep She's not our own, we care not a bit Until same fate cross our path Trample our wives And rip our hearts Only then shall we realize in Leah died our very soul. - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu #365DaysOfPoetry #Pengician #SSA Enjoyed reading? Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends