Skip to main content

New eBook Alert! So You Want To Be A Poet (Series II)

So You Want To Be a Poet?

I remember dressing up and whistling Don William’s ‘Jamaica’ while getting dressed up for a poetry get-together organized by FOS, Owerri chapter. I was feeling both anxious and intimidated at the same time, owing to the fact that I will be meeting poets I admire from a distance, for the first time. My roommate, a friend who had no interest in poetry, asked me why I wanted to be a poet.

“You know how hard it is to make money as a poet?” he added. 

It felt like a betrayal. A dispiriting stab.

“I don’t care about making money,” I told him. “I just want to write awesome poetry.”

Despite my show of idealism and optimism, I was wounded inside. A feeling of inadequacy crept in and I began to question my interest in poetry writing. 

As soon as I wrote my first collection of poems titled ‘Diary of a Broken Poet’, I believed I would be an instant success. Of course, that’s not exactly how it happened. Sadly, my first book was a colossal failure. Not one sale was made. But I didn’t give in to failure.

Since then I’ve written fourteen books, bagged three creative writing awards, written hundreds of poems and co-authored several anthologies.

But I’m still not an instant success.

They haven’t named a literary prize after me (yet). And I haven’t seen my name next to Chinua Achebe on the bestseller’s list nor beside T.S Elliot as a world renown poet.

This notwithstanding, I’ve accomplished something much more important. Here goes the list:
  • I’ve become a poet. 
  • I’ve carved a niche. 
  • I’ve built a brand. 
  • I’ve made a name. 
  • I am consistent.
Every day I get to sit brainstorm for ideas, courses, words and all that is needed to make a fine brew of poetry and train other poets on how to do same. I pen down poems that reach hundreds of people in a dozen different countries. Every day I get to create poems out of a butterfly, a fleeting thought, a drop of rain, a heavy cloud, Sabrina’s kiss, moonlight, and put together lines that change the way people see the world.

Every day I get to write meaning into people’s lives through poetry. I am becoming.

No one is born a poet. You must become a poet. 

In fact, you never cease to become, because you never stop learning how to write. Even now, I am becoming a poet. And so are you. 

Becoming a poet is a lifetime process that ends only at death.

In this second series of my book ‘So you want to be a Poet’, I’d like to give you the ten best pieces of wisdom I’ve learned as a poet. I hope they will inspire you to begin your journey toward becoming a poet (or continue it with renewed focus!).

I’m passionate about helping other poets go from being aspiring poets to becoming daily poets. That’s why I wrote this free book.

What if you could step into your identity as a poet today? I want to challenge you to stop dreaming, stop aspiring, and start developing the habits that will turn you into a poet. 


#Pengician #SSA


Enjoyed reading? Please leave a comment and share with friends. Thank you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

shy, a poem

bashful, timid, quiet.  shy If anyone you know has used these terms to describe you, you're probably a bit shy. Everyone feels that way once in a while. Shyness and social anxiety are common, no matter how old you are. There is one myth about social anxiety and social anxiety disorder that I would like to dispel. The myth says that social anxiety is just exaggerated shyness. This myth encourages the idea that anxious people are merely weak-willed pushovers. It is partially because of this myth, I think, that well-intentioned people offer the relevant but insensitive and patronizing advice like, “Don’t worry about it!” , “Just do it” and “Face your fears.”  Thinking on all these, I wrote this poem: shy when a shy person speaks, it's like music from guitar strings. when a shy person smiles, it’s like the sun coming out when a shy person steps out it's like the uncommon visit of gods when a shy person reclines it feels like moon eloped from night when a shy person is 'i

Dustbin And Drafts - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu

POEM 142: DUSTBIN AND DRAFTS He was the night sky, She was a star, Always together, Never one. He wrote what he felt for her of how her twinkles light up his dark. But they never get to her. One more note was added in his drafts. Fragrant pens and beautiful poems Pink papers and artistic handwriting. She wrote about the beauty in his black of how they make her twinkles shine. but they never got to him. Only the dustbin knows how much she loves him - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu #365DaysOfPoetry #Pengician #SSA Enjoyed reading? Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends.  Thank you!

For Leah Shabiru - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu

POEM 136: FOR LEAH SHABIRU I can't find the words right To describe Leah's plight. I hope this little piece of mine Awakens our voiceless unconcern. Does she feel giddy? Does she still cry? Does she look out the window and heave a sigh? How long shall this gravity Hold her down to these rascals? I know she kicks but in vain I know she whispers prayers to her God Or maybe she now doubts his existence. Does she wish her breathe be gone? But she's just a teenager Who dreamt of leaving her deadbeat town One day she went to chase dreams The next she was never found Sunrise and sunset have come and gone and Leah is still in the devil's lair. You and I, we eat, we sleep She's not our own, we care not a bit Until same fate cross our path Trample our wives And rip our hearts Only then shall we realize in Leah died our very soul. - Stefn Sylvester Anyatonwu #365DaysOfPoetry #Pengician #SSA Enjoyed reading? Please help my blog grow by leaving a comment and sharing with friends